Monday, September 1, 2008

1st week

So I’ve been in Boston for a little over a week and have had an interesting time of it.

The first four days I was still with NROTC so it felt a little restricted. On Sunday we did the freedom trail and then my squad ate at an amazing Italian restaurant, La Summa, in the North End it is family owned and run with amazing food! Monday morning we woke up and had PT though it was fun because we could choose between softball and ultimate Frisbee. I choose softball and had actually hit the ball (I was shocked). From there we went and had a talk from the CO, Capt Stevens, during lunch. After that we went on a Duck Tour, it sounds corny and not fun at all but it was a blast! We traveled the streets of Boston in a duck named Molly. From there we had liberty and we went to Fire and Ice (it’s like Mongolian Barbeque). On Tuesday, we had an inspection in front of the USS Constitution. From there went and had a Navy trivia class and then toured our respective campuses. That night we ate at an Italian restaurant called Bertucci's, once again amazing, this was on campus so a place I will probably go to a lot. Wednesday our PT was a run up Bunker Hill which was really cool expect that my ankles hurt really bad, and I think I have shin splints from it. L I finished but ended up going back to the hotel to out ice on it. After that we had time to prep our uniforms for the picnic. Following that we marched to the office on Bay State Road and met out parents. You will have to ask my Mom how we looked but I know I was glad to see her after that long ten days. After that we were free to do as we pleased.

I went and got my room key and with Mom and Teri’s help I moved into my dorm on the third floor of the Core House. It isn’t too bad, I have seven windows not including the one in the closet (yes there is one in the closet… I finally got a walk in closet… I have to share it but oh well) so that makes eight windows. From there we went to Target and Chili’s for dinner. After they dropped me off I got use to my room and putting everything away. Thursday Mom and Teri picked me up again and we went to a restaurant on Newbury Street (Newbury is like Pearl only better) from there we went to Bed Bath & Beyond; don’t go there on move in weekend (it’s a mad house). After that it was time to say goodbye. It was a little hard but also exciting (Mom, I am very proud of you!). That night for dinner a group of us from NROTC went to dinner at UNO’s (it’s like Old Chicago) and then wondered around Boston. I had my first big city experience when a drunk guy started talking to our group while we were waiting for someone and offered us Vodka. We all turned him down and I was glad when we got to leave. Friday was a lazy day, waking up when I wanted to and not when an alarm said I had to get up (it was amazing). For dinner a group of us went to Quincy Market and then back to one of the guy’s dorms and watched Euro trip. Saturday, I was proud of myself and I went to FitRec and ran. That night they had a move-in double feature and I went with some kids from my dorm which was fun we only stayed for the first one(Forgetting Sarah Marshall) but it was a good time. Sunday, I slept in again and read at the beach. That night BU had its first tail gate. I went to that with some kids from my house and had a good time. They ran out of food so we ended up eating at west and then back and watched the game. The game was sad though, BU was winning and with 3 seconds to go in the game UMass tied it up… forcing a double overtime in which BU lost.
Today (Monday) we had our Matriculation, in which we were officially inducted as students and the class of 2012. The ceremony was boring and the president gave a 20 min speech that was downright boring but hey it’s all part of it so I can’t complain much. From there we had Splash, where all the clubs set up booths and give away stuff. I got a free meal there so that is one more for the week, extra. I also met up with a kid from orientation and I showed him how to get to Newbury St and we caught up. I did more reading at the BU beach (I got to get it all in while I can!).

So, that wraps up my first week in Boston, nothing exciting but I wanted to get it all down on paper… well typed.

No comments: