Friday, October 24, 2008

Navy Marine Corp Birthday Ball

So in the attempt to feel somewhat productive on this glorious Friday afternoon, I thought I would update everyone on the Navy Marine Corp Birthday Ball.

Last weekend our NROTC unit celebrated the Navy’s Birthday (13 Oct 1775) and Marine Corp’s Birthday (10 Nov 1775) with a ball at the Hyatt in Cambridge, MA. It was strongly encouraged by the upper-class midshipman that everyone brings a date. So I did something I have never done before, I asked one of my guy friends to the ball, which even though we went just as friends I’d never gone with a guy to a dance before so that was nerve racking to just ask.

Friday night (17 Oct 08), I did a quick uniform once over to ensure everything was perfect and then I walked over to help set up. Around 1700 everyone had arrived and we proceeded into the grand ballroom. After an amazing ceremony celebrating the birthdays an amazing dinner was given. There were a total of eight of us at our dinner (four midshipman and our dates). Conversation varied as the night went on from INDOC to class and back home. However, the number one rule was NO POLITCS, something that is surprisingly hard to do during an election year.

After dinner through was the usual round of toasts and speeches. Then the dancing began but before everyone was allowed to dance, the fourth class midshipman had to go through a little initiation… All of us were blindfolded and told to dance. Then the first class (seniors) went and tapped people when they were done, in other words it was a blindfolded dance competition. Thankfully, I didn’t last very long, I’m not a big fan of dancing let alone dancing blindfolded. After our initiation the dancing began.

My date and I probably stayed to 0030 (12:30am) and then walked back to campus on a crisp night. I had a good time and am looking forward to the Tri-service Ball (Navy, Army, and Air Force). The only downside was the fact that the female midshipman weren’t allowed to change into dresses. While on one hand it was nice not to have to worry about it at the other it would have been nice to wear a dress.

The next morning came bright and early, especially because I got up to volunteer at the Harvard Football game. The game was another fun, what made it even more fun was talking with the security guards at the gate. They made the time pass fast and helped remind people to grab the free programs (people don’t like to pay for programs).

But that was a quick review of the Ball and that weekend. Not much else has happened this last week except for midterms and studying.

Until next time.

1 comment:

Lisa4 said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun from your facebook picks. I am glad that you had such a fun time! Kudos to you for asking your guy friend to the ball!  ~Lisa